Cognitive Labour - in the modern work world, physical strength, endurance and speed aren't as important as mental work - writing, innovating, processing, planning, etc. How do you motivate this kind of work? How do you enhance your staff's cognitive labour? How do you best manage and allocate your cognitive labour resources to develop efficient, productive, innovative teams?
A little over two years ago, I did the rounds of every major Government Relations firm in Toronto and pitched them on the idea of starting a "mental health" practice. The answer I received was universal - there's no money in mental health, we don't understand the concept, thanks but no thanks.
Now, smart entrepreneurs are turning the renewed focus on mental health in the workplace into business opportunities, as I predicted they would. They are, however, still focusing on the catch-up angle - how to meet new standards and deal more effectively with the mentally ill in the workplace.
There is still a need to get proactive and address the repetitive stress factors that cause occupational mental illness, just as poor lighting causes headaches and poor keyboard/chair design result in carpal tunnel syndrome or back pain.
It's gonna happen. Everyone, early adapters and laggards both, are going to have to adapt to this new world. The ones who move first, though, will be the leaders in the Knowledge Economy.
Want to know how? Drop me a line - let's talk.
But in the mean time, check this out, too:
Building a Mentally Healthy Workplace
AGENDA March 26, 2013
|Building a Mentally Healthy Workplace
|7:30 am - 8:30 am
|Registration and Breakfast
|8:30 am - 9:30 am
Accommodating Mental Illness
• Defining employers' rights and obligations in accommodating mental illness
• Solutions to help avoid potential legal liabilities
Co-founder, e2Rsolutions; Partner & Co-founder, Woolgar VanWiechen Ketcheson Ducoffe LLP
Co-founder, e2Rsolutions; Partner, Woolgar VanWiechen Ketcheson Ducoffe LLP
|9:30 am - 10:15 am
|Employee Addiction and Abuse
• Exploring the difference between employee addiction and abuse
• How this difference affects disability and the employers' duty to accommodate
Director, Marketing and Business Development, Family Services Employee Assistance Program
|10:15 am - 10:30 am
|10:30 am - 11:30 am
|Techniques and Tips for Successful Workplace Interventions
• Useful techniques for workplace interventions
• Tips to help employers with their employees' recovery from addiction
Clinical Manager, Family Program and Process Addictions Bellwood Health Services
|11:30pm - 12:30 pm
|The New CSA Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace standard and what it means to you.
|To be confirmed
|12:30pm - 1:30 pm
|1:30 pm – 2:30pm
|The Legal Perspective
• Discussing the legal implications of accommodating mental illness in the workplace
• Legal and liability issues surrounding the New CSA Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace standard
Associate, Heenan Blaikie LLP
|2:30pm - 3:30pm
|Policy, Planning & Implementation
• Reviewing policies under the New CSA Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace standard
• Proper planning and implementation strategies for your organization
VP Health Solutions, Morneau