Search This Blog

CCE in brief

My photo
Recovering backpacker, Cornwallite at heart, political enthusiast, catalyst, writer, husband, father, community volunteer, unabashedly proud Canadian. Every hyperlink connects to something related directly or thematically to that which is highlighted.

Monday 28 October 2013

Driving to Distraction



People tell me I have trouble focusing.  When I talk to them about the connection between things like space design, communication, mental health, labour and driving practices, they tell me I''m grasping at straws, that none of these things connect.

Until they do.  Then they just look at me funny.

We are individuals, but we don't exist in a vacuum, either physical or temporal.  We are shaped by space and time just as much as we individually and collectively shape the future.

Work design impacts cognitive function as much as social space, including roadways, do.  The experiences of our day, including traffic, do the same.  Until we understand these forces at a conscious level, we are slaves to them.

Until we map out the dark spaces between thought, action, self and society, we are driving blind.


No comments:

Post a Comment