Search This Blog

CCE in brief

My photo
Recovering backpacker, Cornwallite at heart, political enthusiast, catalyst, writer, husband, father, community volunteer, unabashedly proud Canadian. Every hyperlink connects to something related directly or thematically to that which is highlighted.

Friday 11 January 2013

An Excellent Point

 
 
To say "here's the thing" implies the person speaking (or writing) is bringing forth a universal answer that whoever's listening isn't privy to.  By suggesting the one thing an audience needs to know will follow, the speaker/writer is dictating.  It's much less effective than empowering your audience to be a participant in, not recipient of the conversation.
 
I am absolutely guilty of this; I write "here's the thing" when what I should be writing is "here's what I think."
 
Thank you for the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment