Search This Blog

CCE in brief

My photo
Recovering backpacker, Cornwallite at heart, political enthusiast, catalyst, writer, husband, father, community volunteer, unabashedly proud Canadian. Every hyperlink connects to something related directly or thematically to that which is highlighted.

Tuesday 21 February 2012

Shades of Grey



"Fans of arbitrary and inflexible laws are astonished to discover that these laws are arbitrary and inflexible."

Exactly.  The world is not black-and-white.  There are no cut-and-dry solutions.  There are no villains, only limited perspectives.

Anyone who peddles rigid rules and employs "with us or against us" rhetoric is disingenuous at best and at worst, woefully naive.


UPDATE, Nov 19 2013: The Fords speak in extremes.  Everything is either the greatest or the worst.

"I've run this city better than any mayor ever has," the mayor said on Monday night.

"This is the worst day in Canadian history for democracy," his brother said with a straight face.




Once there were trenches and walls and one point of every view
Fight 'til the other man falls - kill him before he kills you
These days the edges are blurred, I'm old and tired of war
I hear the other man's words
I'm not that sure anymore


Shades of grey are all that I find
When I look to the enemy line
Black and white was so easy for me
But shades of grey are the colors I see
 

No comments:

Post a Comment